Home Products Plans & Pricing Help Blog About

TweetReach Blog

Thoughts on social media analytics from the makers of TweetReach

Will FOX cancel Terra Nova?

with 42 comments

By now you’ve probably seen one of our posts about this season’s new fall TV shows. For a few weeks, we’ve been using TweetReach to track tweets about all 25 new shows (we’re down to 22 now), and using the tweets to try to predict which ones will be canceled. And we thought it would be fun to bring a guest blogger who knows even more about TV than we do to help make predictions.

So, welcome Adam Rucker to the TweetReach blog! Adam’s been blogging and making videos about TV and pop culture for a long time. He’s even appeared on TV a few times. Here on our blog, Adam will sharing some of his – and Twitter’s – thoughts on new fall shows. And if you like what you see here, you can find Adam on Twitter at @ruckermore, on his YouTube channel, and on his blog

This week, Adam takes on FOX’s new show, Terra Nova. Will it be canceled? Let’s see what Adam thinks!

One of the biggest bets of the fall season is the one FOX took on its new sci-fi series Terra Nova. The show, which begins in the year 2149, stars Jason O’Mara as the head of a family that travels 75 million years into the past to live amongst the dinosaurs in “Terra Nova.”

The premise of the show is exciting in nature: super director Steven Spielberg produces the time-traveling mix of Lost, Jurassic Park, and Avatar. It’s also the most expensive new show in production this year with a pilot that cost a rumored $20 million to create and subsequent episodes that cost around $4 million each.

Unlike most shows, FOX ordered 13 episodes of Terra Nova when the original pilot was greenlit, meaning it’s unlikely that FOX will pull the plug on the show before it shows all the episodes it’s already paid for. Still, it is the viewer response to these episodes that will determine if FOX decides to continue pouring money into its investment or fill Terra Nova’s valuable Monday night time slot with another spinoff of Hell’s Kitchen starring Gordon Ramsay.

So what is the Twitter world saying about the big budget drama? In its first week on the air, Terra Nova generated nearly 90,000 tweets from more than 50,000 contributors reaching about 18.2 million people, which is nearly 10 million more than reached the recently cancelled Playboy Club (12K tweets from 9K contributors, with a reach of 8.6 million). Interestingly, the several weeks since the premiere haven’t generated much more attention for the show. In total, 111,000 tweets have reached 20.7 million pairs of eyes. But the attention doesn’t mean anything if it’s bad attention.

A look at the top four highest exposure tweets includes three from Entertainment Weekly linking to articles on the show, but number four is a simple review from English television host, Jonathan Ross:

This tweet was retweeted 111 times, reaching even further beyond @wossy’s own 1.2 million followers.

A tweet by E!’s television critic, Kristin Dos Santos, mocking the show’s inferiority to one of her favorites, Lost, reached her 73,000 followers and was retweeted 28 times.

Personally, I wasn’t a huge fan of the show either. Despite the big bucks spent on production, it came off as cheap and even cheesy in some parts.

But to be fair, not all of the Twitterverse had bad things to say about the show. Drew Carey’s positive review went out to his 627,000 followers and gained a spot as one of the highest exposure tweets about the show.

Jared English, founder of the incredibly popular celebrity gossip blog, JustJared.com, also had far-reaching kind words for the dino-thriller.

But what does it all mean anyway? For an expensive show like Terra Nova, my guess is a lot. A thumbs up or thumbs down from any one of these influential tweeters could very easily result in the loss or gain of hundreds of thousands (or in some cases, millions) of viewers. While various reports show that Terra Nova’s ratings have been “respectable,” there’s no getting around the fact that it is up against some stiff competition, including ABC’s ratings behemoth, Dancing with the Stars.

It just depends on what FOX executives are looking for. The network recently picked up its new comedy series, New Girl starring Zooey Deschanel, for a full season. While the budget of this good-natured, apartment-based comedy is probably a tenth of Terra Nova’s (and also generated far fewer tweets and tweeters), New Girl has reached nearly two million more Twitter users during its time on the air.

There’s still time for Terra Nova (at least 10 more episodes), but my guess is that, unless it gains a devoted following (quickly), FOX is going to stop paying the bills and its 13th episode will probably be its last.

Do you think Terra Nova is headed for extinction? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

Track and report on your Twitter efforts with TweetReach.
Simple, beautiful Twitter analytics for PR and marketing pros.

Learn More

Written by admin

October 11th, 2011 at 5:15 am

Posted in Trends

Tagged with , , ,

42 Responses to 'Will FOX cancel Terra Nova?'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Will FOX cancel Terra Nova?'.

1. I think its a fun show. Something different for a change but unfortunatley it will probably only go 13 episodes due to close minded people who have no imagination outside of a comedy show or detective show.

maximus

17 Oct 11 at 7:04 pm

2. Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it Cancel it!!!!!!!

Seriously the worse new tv show i’ve seen in a while and i cant wait til it’s cancelled. Not a question of if but of when.

James

23 Oct 11 at 7:26 pm

3. It’s a really bad show. Or I should say, Fox and the writers are killing it rather quickly. The last two episodes have done nothing to progress any type of main story line. It reminds me a great deal of the middle seasons of Lost…. you know, seasons 3 through 6, those seasons that really meant absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of the story. Those episodes that would spend an hour posing questions which ultimately went completely unanswered. So far with Terra Nova they are on the exact same track and frankly, I won’t be suckered in again. I’ve watched all 5 episodes… first three were cheesy at times and obvious “family” oriented. That was fine. At least they left the viewer with a sense that the story was progressing. I can easily overlook a few cheesy moments for a decent storyline. The past two episodes, What Remains and The Runaway, have taken a complete sidetrack and only offered new questions with 5 minutes or primary story progression thrown in. Almost as an afterthought. This is how good ideas die… it’s what angered viewers over Lost, it’s why Heros died. And it’s why shows like Smallville do well. Set a primary story line… every episode progress that story. If you pose a question or a new mystery during an episode, answer that question within 2 episodes. Do not continually pad the season with throw away episodes. Viewers aren’t as blind as some producers and programming directors think they are. I’ve given up on Terra Nova. It’s a waste of time.

Scott

24 Oct 11 at 2:04 am

4. [...] next in our series of posts about what Twitter can tell us about new fall TV is an analysis of the most recent show to premiere, ABC’s Once Upon a Time. What did Twitter [...]

5. Wow! This analysis above me is spot on. I’m just a regular viewer of this show and I agree completely. I will give it one more episode and if the story line does not progress….goodbye !!

lorenzo

24 Oct 11 at 5:26 pm

6. I’ll keep watching it. I like it I guess. Not much else to watch. Sure there are other shows, but we can use as many as possible…what’s one half hour in a day, tivo your shows and watch them at once, doesn’t take any time at all to watch all on a weekend…what could hurt from another half hour. It’s better than watching something like American Idol, and Fox gave madTV god only knows how many years. Let’s give it six season’s, it’s not like anyone has anything better to do anyway.

John

27 Oct 11 at 1:13 am

7. Please cancel this show it’s really lame!! Has the worst actors and the plot sucks!!

Marie

3 Nov 11 at 8:04 am

8. HOW DARE YOU PEOPLE! this is one of the best (if not the best) science fiction shows i have EVER watched. the plot is acualy good bassed on humanity in 100 years and how our ussage of the worlds rescources has caused toxic levels of co2 in the air to kill life. essentualy the world is dieng, but as shown at the start THERE IS HOPE! a rip in the fabric of space has created a one way entrance to the past a seperate timeline (meaning anything they do there will not affect us) the timeline goes back to a time before human’s before wars where there is a “paradise” called terra nova a colonie made to be a second chance for humanity but as shown so far through the show there is a twist people speculate theyv acualy created it to controll the future (like world domination) the show is set on a family comming to that time and surviving in a world where human’s are not on the top of the food chane “a world where we are essentially on the bottem, along with human thrests 6′s terrorist#s (specualtion is still set as to are they good guys or bad?) who hold weapons that rival terra nova. the story line conssists of adventure mystery suspence thriller scifi suitable for all the family weather it be from ages 4-whatever. it is truely a unique concept like it’s like avatar meets Jurassic park meets journey-to-the-centre-of-the-earth. weather you are not in to this kind of stuff is not the point, for thos who also share this love for these kinds of shows “rare unique shows” made by one of the most famios directors you will love this. i would be shocked to see this being canceled like so many recent good shows this year which are great but dont compare to this one. like “v” for example or stargate universe not so good at the start but draged me in on the second seasons (where they were cancelled) while this one has be dragged in ALL the way! so please try not asking to get rid of this show “if u dont like it dont watch it” because this is one of the best shows..no is the best i have watched in a long time and i realy hope for more seasons and for it not to be CANNCELED!

kevin

7 Nov 11 at 5:04 pm

9. Keep it! My kids love it and I share their love! Families need shows like this that are ‘safe’ to watch and keep kids interested!!!

Yoke

7 Nov 11 at 6:58 pm

10. Seriously, this show is terrible. It needs to be cancelled.

dude

7 Nov 11 at 9:42 pm

11. This whole post shows the problem with our TV system. Looking to blogs is not that much better then the antiquated Nielson ratings. It’s 2011 just look at the cable and satellite stats (including recordings) and also the web.

TV as we know it is antiquated and is slowly moving to and online, ondemand media and the executives hate this because they would rather you watch the next reality knoc-off, I’m guessing it will be “Dancing with the X-factor” and the lemmings all watch as they feed you shit on a plate and take in millions because the show costs pennies to produce.

This is why stations like AMC are doing it right with ground breaking content and major networks are failing. And the morons of the Internet call for a show to be canceled and the studio execs want just that.

I am not saying everyone has to watch this show…. Hell I don’t even know if I’m sold on the show (I like the concept but I think it’s trying to be something for everyone and ends up pleasing no-one), but don’t call for a show to be canceld. Just don’t watch it. I do that every day… Not watch shows that I have no interest in.

Why lurk on the web to write negativity? Comments like the ones above stating as if a huge group of people disliked the middle 3 seasons of Lost!? People dont watch shows for 3 seasons not likeing them and shows dont last 3 seasons if they are not being watched.

An honest, constructive critique is great, but most of the negative comments here are just to be negative. Take your energy and put it to good use! Go to what it is that you like and put it up in a positive light and do what you can to make it better. I know this falls on deaf ears and the younger generations grow more jaded and impatient. But I hope atleast one person will read this and decide that they don’t need to be an asshole when they post a comment

Dave

7 Nov 11 at 11:54 pm

12. Scott said it best. Although I watch the show because, I guess, it’s a little entertaining. Having said that, it isn’t a show that I’d regret if I missed an episode. And that is a good example of what Scott said. You did miss anything because each episode stands on its own and does not continue the storyline of the previous episode. Another perfect example of that would be “24″ and “Prison Break.” And what to these two shows have in common? Two of the most successful series. The only reason “Prison Break” didn’t go past five seasons, is because there’s pretty much little more you can do after they escaped from two prisons. Another reason why Terra Nova may be cancelled is because there are no characters to fall in love with. No one cares if they get lost, die, leave….whatever. In “24″ you would sympathize and care about Jack Bauer. And how can you not There is no character development….no heroes, because we don’t know anything about their history to care about what happens to them next. Basically, there’s no connection. Anyway, if Terra Nova doesn’t give its audience a story or character to cheer for, then they will most likely move on in search of another.

Jon S

8 Nov 11 at 1:05 am

13. It isn’t very good, but there’s precious little sci-fi on at the moment, so I acquiesce.

JambalayaOnTheBayou

9 Nov 11 at 6:07 pm

14. I agree with Kevin on this. This is one of those shows that you will either really love or detest greatly. I am one of those who are addicted to the show. For me, it’s the Jurassic Park IV we’ve been waiting for. If it is cancelled or renewed is something I am always googleing, but if it is cancelled, I will say it was a hell of a good show that will go down in history with the other great cancelled shows of our time like Firefly, Flashforward, “V”, Legend of the Seeker, and Futurama. And, you never know. Some of these cancelled shows find ways of coming back. So, I say good luck Terra Nova. If you keep making seasons and episodes, I’ll keep watching.

Dan

9 Nov 11 at 6:45 pm

15. Looks good, sounds good but the results have been lacking so far. New shows don’t have the time they use to have to develop the story and characters, and the networks don’t have the patience to wait for the fan base to grow. Too many shows have fell victim to this. Space above and beyond, Firefly and SGU are but a few examples of great shows cut down just as they were about to develop. Battlestar Galactica was in your face from the start and if new shows cannot replicate its winning formula, my advice would be to not get to taken by it. V was cancelled after S2 but has been thrown a lifeline for a 3rd season, lets hope it’s justified as it represents the network showing a little faith. If it pays off, it might just spread to other shows.

Tom@Norn Iron

16 Nov 11 at 11:32 am

16. I love this show!!! I don’t know what these people are talking about when they say that it sucks! It’s science fiction, there are dinosaurs, and they traveled back in time!! I don’t think it deserves to be cancelled. I hope Fox keeps it because i’ll keep watching no matter what!!

Sami

20 Nov 11 at 9:16 pm

17. This show is great all my family watch it ages between 17 and 64 it’s a family show and it’s awesome. I’m sick of all these crime shows or these x factor and idol stupid shows terra nova is a fun loving movie and very family orientated I love it and to cancel it would he a crime.

Nathaniel bell

22 Nov 11 at 4:36 pm

18. This is writing by committee. Check the opening credits, there are literally 16 producers!!!! Really good shows have developed a Writer’s Bible outlining the concept and the characters and the dos and don’ts of the show. Terra Nova does not seem to have one. Plot holes and gaping holes in logic prevail in every episode. e.g. In Vs. Shannon and his wife try to determine the identity of the corpse completely forgetting about the DNA analyser from the previous episode. Shannon and Taylor go for a lazy afternoon of fishing IN A DINOSAUR INFESTED WORLD! The visuals are terrible and the acting is a crime. I do agree that all 3 episodes will air partially due to the cost and partially due to not wanting to can something with Spielberg’s name attached. But honestly, how much does Spielberg have to do with this other than throwing his name on it?

Luna

24 Nov 11 at 6:48 pm

19. I meant 13 episodes not 3.

Luna

24 Nov 11 at 6:48 pm

20. This is a good show. It should be given a second chance. My 10 yr old waits every week to sit down with me to watch together. Seriously do you see me sitting down with a 10 yr old to watch Law and ORDER: SVU or or How I met your mother or Gossip Girl? This is a Family oriented show. How many shows like that are on TV? Remember the comment if you don’t like it just change the channel. Well what other channels show such a wonderfully produced Show. Geez I remember watching Land of the Lost in the 70′s. Same family entertainment Just soo much better show that I can enjoy with my young children. This show has a place on TV also in my home. Don’t cancel it, It produces wonderful family time together.

Andy Vacca

27 Nov 11 at 4:52 pm

21. I think this show is not all that bad. The last couple of episodes have progressed the main plot a pretty good bit. I hope it doesn’t get cancelled.

JoeBob

28 Nov 11 at 6:33 pm

22. But, I will say, the acting is pretty horrific.

JoeBob

28 Nov 11 at 6:35 pm

23. I personally really enjoy Terra Nova. It interests me alot more than many of the shows on like New Girl. If it is up to me, renew it for at least a few more seasons. I think I would like the show to go for 4 seasons because it is a great show. If it surpasses 4, good on them. More to enjoy! RENEW IT PLEASE!!!!!

Vincent

29 Nov 11 at 5:19 am

24. Our family LOVES this show!! I’m really hoping that FOX keeps this show in its’ line up. Good family show that’s both fun and entertaining. We are SSSOOOO sick and tired of reality tv shows, singing shows, dancing shows, Everyone with their butts hanging out shows with low morales and cheap laughs…or yet ANOTHER bloody cop show. GOOD for you FOX…we’ll keep watching!

SCI-FI Girls

29 Nov 11 at 8:38 am

25. seriously whats wrong with you people? this show is one of the best shows i have seen in a while

it offers something new and you raaaaarely get something new in TV shows its either medieval
    modern or superhero stuff this is one of the best shows airing and i hope it finishes season 1 and hopefully 2

i say hopefully cause people dont appreciate fresh content anymore…..

Sparrow

29 Nov 11 at 11:14 am

26. There’s nothing new in Terra Nova.

One of the worst show on TV ever.

I tried to like it but they killed it in the 2nd episode and it’s been awful since.

Dave Thompson

30 Nov 11 at 3:59 pm

27. Brannon Braga killed Star Trek with the ghastly Enterprise which was stuck in the past. And that’s how this series feels, back in the 90′s, full of PC and cringe worthy, cheesey pro-family crap!
    It makes you sick when you think that Stargate Universe gets cancelled and people are able to get away with funding this ghastly attempt at modern sci fi. I can only feel sorry for the actors who will no doubt be looking for work after episode 13…

Tony McMinn

6 Dec 11 at 6:51 pm

28. The show is good. It is about what a serious threat to our world and it strikes me that perhaps people may not be ready for it is too close to home.Scientists are talking about finding a way to for humans to colonize Mars instead of doing the obvious and taking care of the beautiful planet we have now. Terranova has some really good special effects and the story lines are credible and sweet and , I am sick of reality shows and dumb sitcoms. Something intelligent like Terranova comes up and viewers don’t take the time to follow the plot. I think its brilliant and hope it stays around a few more seasons. The message is important and I also hope that will shine through. If not, we are truly in trouble.

maria

12 Dec 11 at 6:31 pm

29. I have found Terra Nova a breath of fresh air. I hope gets a second season.

S.Lee Franklin

20 Dec 11 at 6:53 pm

30. I just watched the season finale. It was a pretty good plot however I am not sure that I really like the show.
    The rebellious teenage son bit is really getting old. It pops up on many tv shows and it’s like the boy is just too stupid to make the right decision. Maybe that’s how the writers son’s are but I know plenty of teenage boys who are not that stupid.
    My biggest complaint is that they killed Washington. I felt that the professional/personal relationship between her and the Commander was the most compelling of the entire show. I felt that they could have really done something with that and instead they killed it.
    can’t say for sure if I will be watching next season.

jmack729

22 Dec 11 at 8:00 am

31. I think it should keep going. I enjoyed it. something different for a change.

Peggy Dixon

22 Dec 11 at 11:06 pm

32. Terra Nova, a shock to my system, i can’t believe that they are considering cancelling this show. It’s one of the best shows i have seen since Dr. Who. I f it is cancelled i will have to seriously consider not watching any of Fox’s channel lineups. I think they should give it a fair chance to establish itself, cuz a lot of people haven’t heard of it as yet, and word of mouth is a great way to let other people know about a show that you like. Sooo tell your friends about it if you don’t want it cancelled, and just change channels if you don’t like it. I say give Terra Nova at least 1 more season, then decide whether to cancel.

Robert

29 Dec 11 at 2:08 pm

33. This is one of the best show on television right now…. my husband and i enjoy it very much….. i hope fox doesn’t cancel it… it seems like every time i start watching a show and get into it, fox cancels it.

sabrina

29 Dec 11 at 4:39 pm

34. I am SOOO tired of ALL the GOOD shows getting dumped in favor of RIDICULOUS REALITY CRAP. I find the concept of “reality” 24/7 ABHORENT: I’m so tired of the anger, the resentment, the picking sides on a visceral level. There is MORE than enough reality in life & I enjoy ESCAPING it occasionally these days, sans drugs & drink & Terra Nova is one of the shows that provides that escape. I also LOVE that it’s on Monday. Being able to look forward to it makes Monday more bearable.
    I SWEAR if it gets canceled, I’M DONE. They (networks) can keep their crap, I’m switching to books. They wouldn’t know a GOOD program if they’re lives depended on it and face it, at this time in our history, they ONLY care about the almighty $.

Zoe

2 Jan 12 at 3:11 pm

35. We love the show and watch or record it faithfully. I hope they do not cancel it as it is a good family show with little violence (not counting wild life) and a even the bad guys seem redeemable.

June

2 Jan 12 at 5:08 pm

36. i loved the show. it was a little cheesey at first but it grows on u. stephen lang plays a great role in the show, he was meant for that part, please don’t cancel the show, i look forward to seeing season 2.

steve

5 Jan 12 at 1:38 am

37. I’m hoping it is renewed for a second season. My husband and I were introduced to the show late, so we had to catch up on episodes towards the last 2 weeks before the season finale. But we fell in love instantly. We both love the show as well as my parents (who introduced us to it). We’ve already had so many shows we love canceled this past year, HOPING FOR RENEWAL!!!! :)

Chelsie

11 Jan 12 at 2:10 am

38. Please keep. It’s different and I enjoy the characters and the action. I don’t care for the renegade goofs that try to attack them and plant spies and such. Wish the show was more about a more realistic survival during that period of time. Getting supplies through a portal all the time doesn’t seem difficult to survive. It has potintial to be family friendly as well as smart and fun. I dvr it and would like to continue to watch.

micki

16 Jan 12 at 12:56 pm

39. My husband and I love this show! I feel that this show is progressing and will develop nicely. Please do not cancel this show!

Jane

26 Jan 12 at 8:21 am

40. I think a lot of these armchair reviews above are WAY off base. Terra Nova is a great show, As S.LeeFranklin said above, I think it’s a breath of fresh air. It irritates me that every time a decent scify comes on, it’s around for a season or so, then gone. The same happened with Star Trek Enterprise and Terminator:The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Both we great shows. I hope Terra Nova comes back…

Tim

20 Feb 12 at 6:42 pm

41. I love this show! How come whenever a show thats not full of sex drugs and drama comes on people always have bad things to say about it. I watched terra nova since the first episode and I woud totally disagree about the CGI being bad. The acting isnt horrible either. I miss good scifi…I mean great shows like flash forward, sarah conner,and the event have all been cacelled and there is nothing to take their places. I feel as though the media is leaving a part of the society out of the loop.

Jen

26 Feb 12 at 9:07 pm

42. [...] Will FOX cancel Terra Nova? at TweetReach Blog1 day ago … Arms raised, Nova girls’ basketball coach Jason Hively raced onto the court to join his team in a group hug of Trellanie English-Lurry. [...]